ST. BEES ABBEY CHURCH
St. Bees was a very extensive parish, stretching as far north as Whitehaven and as far south as St. Bridget Beckermet. It had four quarters - St. Bees itself, Abbey Quarter which reached up onto St. Bees Head,
Preston Quarter on the fringes of what is now Whitehaven and Lowside Quarter which included
Coulderton, Braystones etc. to the south. It also contained the chapelries of Ennerdale, Eskdale and Wasdale.
See Neville Ramsden's Copeland Parish Map and other information on his Home Page
To the north lies the hamlet of
and it was to here that Moses Mossop, born c. 1695 at High Prior Scales, St. Bridget Beckermet
brought his wife and young family in about 1732 having previously farmed Thornholm in the Calder Valley.
It was obviously a shrewd move as his direct descendants remained in possession until the mid 20th century.
Rottington Hall Farm where Moses Mossop and his descendants lived
Rottington Hall from the road over St. Bees Head
The front of Rottington Hall facing away from the road